Rebels Blow Past Houston Baptist For 3-1 Win In WAC Opener
Musovski became the all-time leading goal scorer in the WAC with his 38th career goal.
Sept. 28, 2017
LAS VEGAS (UNLVRebels.com) – Down 1-0 at halftime, UNLV roared past Houston Baptist with three goals in the second half for a 3-1 victory in the WAC men’s soccer opener for both teams Thursday night from Peter Johann Memorial Field. The Rebels improved to 4-6, 1-0 in league play with their third win in the past four games, while HBU dropped to 3-3 overall, 0-1 in the WAC.
THE TURNING POINT: After knocking on the door all night long, the Rebels finally cashed in on a scoring attempt in the 63rd minute when senior Danny Musovski scored off a beautiful header from eight yards out off a cross by Oscar Velazquez to tie the game at 1-1. Less than three minutes later the Rebels scored again, a hard shot by Timo Mehlich from just inside the top of the box for the eventual game-winner in the 65th minute.
REBEL OF THE GAME: Senior Oscar Velazquez, playing his second straight game starting up front, assisted on the first two goals of the night, as he also was involved in the game-winner by Mehlich, after driving down the right side of the field to draw in the defense before sending the ball back to the middle. With his two-assist performance, Velazquez has taken over the assist lead in the WAC with four on the season.
STAT OF THE GAME: UNLV outshot the Huskies 19-11 for the night, including 11-5 in the second half.
QUOTABLE: “I think we were trying to get a shutout in the second half, which we did, and we had to score. Once we got the first goal I think it kind of broke the ice for us. We were a little unlucky in the first half, missing a penalty kick and some other opportunities. We are very happy to start out the season with three points in the WAC. .”
– UNLV Head Coach Rich Ryerson
* Danny Musovski became the WAC’s all-time leading scorer with his score against HBU, giving him 38 in his career. That also moved him into a tie for fifth all-time at UNLV, along with Roy Sparks (1974-76).
* UNLV has won its past three home games by a combined 11-2 margin.
* Mehlich’s score was his first of the season, and the third game-winner of his career.
* UNLV clinched the win thanks to Marquis Pitt’s first goal of the year, in the 79th minute, off an assist by Shota Takada.
* Enrique Adame collected five saves in goal for the Rebels.
NEXT FOR THE REBELS: The Rebels are off until next weekend with a pair of road league games. First up is a Friday, Oct. 6 contest at San Jose State at 1 pm, followed by a Sunday, Oct. 8 match at CSU Bakersfield with a 1 pm start. UNLV will be back home on Friday, Oct. 13 when it hosts UTRGV at 7 pm.